Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 10.09.21 AM.png

Project Connect Update: It's Electric!

Last Tuesday, Capital Metro’s Board of Directors met with the Austin City Council to discuss Project Connect, Capital Metro’s plan for a modern transit system. During this meeting, the group discussed federal investment options, Capital Metro's investment options, and potential scenarios for the development of Project Connect.

A main takeaway was that 40% of the funds could potentially come from federal investment, specifically in the form of grants, as long as the other 60% is covered by locally committed funds. In addition, Capital Metro has predicted that if Austin residents decide to fund bus rapid transit over light rail transit, the system could be maxed out during peak hours by 2040. This choice, along with many others, could have a large impact on how our future transportation system works.

During their next joint work session in March, Capital Metro will be delivering their project plan to City Council. From now until then, you can expect to find the Project Connect Team putting on various events throughout Austin to share system line scenarios. At these events you will be able to give your input on what exact features and lines you want in to see in the final system plan.

Project Connect’s Commitment to Clean Air

As part of Capital Metro’s Project Connect Transit Plan, the agency is rolling out a new all-electric fleet of buses powered by 100% Texas wind power! This aligns with the The Austin Strategic Mobility Plan’s Air & Climate Policy to "reduce emissions generated by the transportation sector.”

To recognize the kids who will inherit the planet we leave behind, Capital Metro partnered with Creative Action, a local nonprofit, to set up a competition in which students from AISD’s Campbell Elementary designed the bus wrapping for two vehicles. The theme was “Healthy Planet” and the buses were unveiled on January 22nd with a celebration at the elementary school. Soon you will see the buses circulating around Austin, and hopefully, get the chance to jump on for a ride!

Learn More...

Mark your calendar for 12:00 pm February 26, when Movability and Capital Metro will host a webinar for employers about Project Connect.